The Spiritual Aspect of the Camino -- getting prepared

Our Camino adventure has a lot of aspects to it.  It's a transition to a new life in retirement. It's a shared experience as a couple.  It also has a deeply spiritual meaning.  

We're in a profound meditation walking these mountain paths in Spain knowing that we're following in the footsteps of millions of pilgrims since the Middle Ages.  Sharing this experience and assuming they were as exhausted (more so!) as we are...

My Spiritual Director -- Sister Diane 

Sister Diane




A spiritual director helps one develop a closer relationship with God and to better discern how the Holy Spirit is leading in one's life. 

Sister Diane, a Franciscan Sister, has been my spiritual director for almost eight years.  She has guided me -- helped me through tough times -- and most importantly, inspired me.  


One of her key messages is to celebrate the moment. I think of her with almost every step on the Camino.  I live that step -- experience that moment - instead of rushing towards the mountain ahead.  

Joyce Rupp, also a Franciscan Sister, wrote a lovely book on the Camino, Walk in a Relaxed Manner, that focuses on this type of gratitude as well.  


Sister Diane, along with her other Sisters are praying for us on the Camino.  It means so much to us!  


The Pilgrim Blessing -- Father Mike
Pilgrims are traditionally sent off from their home with a special blessing.  Father Mike at our home in Bay St Louis, Mississippi, did this for us. My darling cousin Nora and her husband Ed were there, too.  
The Saints who walk with me
St Catherine and St Therese 
Many people who walk the Camino name their walking sticks.  I know I would not be able to do this walk without the support of my sticks - they get me up hills, they get me over treacherous ground, they're a blessing every day.  


St. Anthony and St. James
 (plus a tiny bit of bling added by me)
I named one stick St. Catherine Laboure (of the Miraculous Medal), the other is St. Therese of Lisieux (who has helped with prayer in my life in many ways).    

My walking shoes remind me of saints, too.  My left shoe is St Anthony (who has supported me as I did public speaking) and the right is St James (the saint of the Camino itself).



Tools of the trade

On the sleeve of my jacket


John bought me this Rosary - 
my friends had it blessed 
in Rome. Every medal represents 
a special person - a special prayer.
I pray the rosary as I walk.  

I also do the prayers  of the Divine Office as often as I can.
There is an iPhone app
that helps you pray the
Divine Office.  
  


A special gift

This pin was made 
by a woman in Athens, Greece.
I love all that the Miraculous Medal represents as a reminder of Mary's love for us and of her son, Jesus. We had 100 small pins made by hand with the scallop shell that represents the Camino, a commemoration of the year 2015, and of course the Miraculous Medal.  

We've given out 10 so far to pilgrims whose story has touched our hearts -- 90 more to go!






No comments:

Post a Comment