Ferro de Cruz – Cross of Iron

At the Ferro de la Cruz

Ferro de Cruz – the Cross of Iron - is an epic point on the Camino.  

Pilgrims carry stones from home to represent what they're carrying in their hearts. They leave these stones at the base of the Ferro de Cruz, now piled 30 feet high, in personal acknowledgement  of their pilgrimages.

John carried a trilobite, a fossil from 250 million years ago, to contemplate how brief life is. His was a prayer of gratitude.

  
Dona's husband Gary
My Dad and me
1959
I carried four stones. A stone for my dear friend Dona, who taught me about compassion in action, specifically for her husband she lost last year.


For my father, copper nuggets mined in the Upper Penninsula of Michgan, with great gratitude for all the gifts he gave me.  



Charlie Brock

Kyle's father, Jeff,
with Ben Brock

A stone for Andi and Kyle, for Kyle’s father Jeff, their beloved dog Charlie and other losses in their lives.  










Finally, a stone I share with Bonnie, the girls’ mother, who passed away 10 years ago. 

In these amazing women, each one of them caring, kind and smart, Bonnie left me an incredible gift – and I’m grateful every day.  

Bonnie and I will always share this love for them.  

Bonnie and her lovely daughters















No comments:

Post a Comment