The angry Spaniard and the Silverback

My friends know I call John the Silver Fox (because he is…). 

But my friend, Dirk, who has worked with John, has a different take on it. He calls John the Silverback (as in gorilla) because often John was the experienced, wiser man on the team who not only led the way but also had to occasionally cuff younger guys to keep them in line. 

I saw the Silverback in action in a small town in Spain. 

We were walking to dinner.  A small car roared up, parked on the sidewalk and actually backed toward John – not seeing him.  John pushed off the car to get out of the way and kept walking.  

That’s when an angry young Spaniard exploded from the car.  About 30 years old and mad as hell.  Road rage anger. You talkin’ to me…kind of fury. I was terrified. 

He ran after John and started yelling at him.
At one point, he actually pounded his chest like a street thug…or a young gorilla.  I was certain John was about to get punched…or worse. 

John stopped, gave the guy a look (I’m certain it was the same look that turns us all to ice) and actually made a dismissive gesture with his hand. 

The angry Spaniard began to back away.  Still yelling.  Finally back at his car, frustrated, he yelled “screw your mother” in heavily accented English. 

And then, we went to dinner.  
The Silverback


1 comment: