Mea Culpa Mountains

[Ning] ... There’s a profound spiritual aspect to the Camino.  Now that I know I can do it – steep paths, long distances – there is more time for reflection. 

Living more than half a century, there has been a lot of joy in my life – but I’ve also made mistakes.  Hurt people.  Not reached out.  Been thoughtless and insensitive.  Mistakes that have caused pain. 

And as I walk, I remember. 

The concept of penance seems old fashioned – but it’s a core part of the Camino.  It’s often why people made the pilgrimage in the middle ages. 

My penance is in the mountains and steep hills.  I name the hill for someone I’ve hurt – a mistake I’ve made - and as I walk, I pray. 

As I walk, I feel the discomfort.  And as I walk, I hope contrition and blessing is felt by that named person.  I pray they feel God’s love in a special way.  And I begin to forgive myself…

Pilgrims leave rocks on Camino path markers to
symbolize leaving their burdens behind... 
If you’re reading this blog, I’m certain there is a hill – or will be a hill – in your name.  And I hope you feel the presence of God as I lift you up in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment